Sunday, November 4, 2012

Windows 8 Extended Attributes Are Inconsistant Error - Solved/Fix

If you have upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows 7 then you will be seeing this error frequently.

Pretty quickly I found every program that tried to elevate to Administrative privileges had this problem. The UAC prompt to click Yes/No appeared very briefly then was rapidly replaced with this error message.

So I restarted the PC and pressed F8 to enter safe mode. I then logged in with a local administrator account and as safe mode is free of UAC prompts could happily set User Account Control Settings to Never Notify



Warning! Using this setting is not recommended.

Restarting back into regular Windows I could now launch programs as admin. I launched a command prompt as Admin and reset UAC back to the previous setting.

No comments:

Popular Posts